Artwork by Beth Harrington, 1974
If you want to update this retro recipe and make it a little more sophisticated, roll the dough in shavings from a good quality chocolate like Valrhona Semisweet Chocolate or Scharffen Berger 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate.
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup rolled oats (uncooked)
1. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light brown.
2. Sift flour and soda and add to butter mixture with rolled oats. Mix well.
3. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Shape into two rolls, 1 ½ inches in diameter and roll in chocolate sprinkles.
5. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for three hours or overnight.
6. Cut into 1/4 inch slices and arrange on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 325º oven for 10 minutes.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
All of the Pantry Passionista entries are updated versions of family recipes first published in the St. Francis of Assisi Parish Pantry Cookbook in 1974. We love the charm of the originals so much, we're including them as well.
Written by Amy & Nancy Harrington