Artwork by Beth Harrington, 1974
Nothing says comfort food like a casserole and this chicken and mushroom extravaganza will not disappoint on a cold winter night. Serve with a side of green beans and cranberry sauce for a pre-Thanksgiving mini-feast.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 (10.5-ounce) cans of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 pound fresh white button mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/4 cup white wine
6 oz. bag of stuffing mix
Coarsely ground pepper
1. Slice mushrooms and saute in butter for 10 minutes or until browned. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Add wine and simmer for three minutes until liquid reduces slightly.
3. Preheat oven to 350º. Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces and put a layer of chicken in the bottom of a deep casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Top with one can of mushroom soup.
5. Top with half of the sauteed mushrooms.
6. Top with half of the stuffing mix.
7. Repeat layers ending with stuffing.
8. Cover with casserole lid or aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
9. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes until stuffing is browned.
All of the Pantry Passionista entries are updated versions of family recipes first published in the St. Francis of Assisi Parish Pantry Cookbook in 1974. We love the charm of the originals so much, we're including them as well. We especially love this week's safety tip and serving suggestions.
Written by Amy & Nancy Harrington
This is awesome! I still use this cookbook regularly. I remember the first time I saw Auntie make this and thought it was the height of elegance. You guys have to post the ginger lime pie. We went crazy every time Grammy made that. Love this site, but I'm never going to get work done now. Love you guys! WendyReplyDelete